Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Is Google Making Us Stupid Response

After reading the article, I do believe that Google along with other search engines have a negative effect on our lives. The Internet has become so fast and efficient that it is so easy to look up a desired fact with the click of a button. The way the article is bashing the Internet I feel is a little harsh. I do not believe that the decrease in the amount of time a person can focus is only affected by the Internet and is not happening as fast as they make it seem. I feel that with all of the technology used today everything is just getting better and faster. Take cell phones for example. People can send hundreds of text messages a day to other people. All of this texting is very quick and to the point. After someone sends a text, they can do something else on the side while they are waiting for a response. Going back to the Internet making us stupid. I do feel that the negative effects of the Internet are bad even though I would never give up my computer so I can have more focus when I read. All though school I never enjoyed reading. I always found it difficult to concentrate and understand what I had just read. To be honest, it was hard for me to even get through this article and understand the important details that were being discussed. But how can I tell if it is difficult for me to read because I spend so much time on the computer surfing the internet. Maybe I'm just not a reader. I find myself more of a math and science person anyway so how can I ever really find out if the Internet is bad for me. I feel that rather than looking at the negatives of the Internet. We should look at the positives. The Internet shortens down our time that we have to research something by so much. All of the information that we want to find up can be found on the computer. Why spend hours looking for a book in the library when we can find exactly what we are looking for in just a few minutes. Although some people do take the Internet to an extreme when doing a research project, the Internet should not be completely bashed. Now that I think about it I feel that the Internet can even make us smarter because we have everything so readily available to us. I know that if I want to find something out I would rather type in into Google or Yahoo then go to my public library and read about it. It takes too much time. Today everything is quick. Especially if you live in New York. New Yorkers always like to do things fast. I feel that with the technology that we have today and the technology that is going to come out in the future we should take advantage of it. Technology is only trying to make things easier for us. I believe that maybe within the next 20 years, books will be completely gone and everything will be looked at on the Internet. I mean if you think about it, everyone nowadays owns a computer. I know in my house we have four computers. One laptop for each of my family members, and then a regular computer that stays in our house. I can't think of anyone in this day and age that does not own a computer. I think that having the Internet around should not be as bad as the article makes it seem. We should embrace the amazing technology that we have today and not bash it. So all in all, after thinking about the positives and negatives of Google and the Internet I do not believe that it is making us stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment