Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Quote 1

Viola: "Then think you right. I am not what I am."
Olivia: I would you were as I would have you be" (III.i.148-9)

Olivia thinks Cesario(Viola) is the man that she is in love with. Viola tries to explain to Olivia that she is not the man that Olivia thinks she is. While trying to tell Olivia that she is not who she thinks she is, Cesario(Viola) has to get rid of Olivia's feelings that she has for Cesario without telling her that Cesario is really a woman pretending to be a man. Olivia liking Cesario will create more problems because Orisino is ultimately the one that likes Olivia.

1 comment:

  1. i think we can both agree that viola is trapped within a very suffocating love triangle. her disguise has managed to deceive both orsino and olivia, misleading them that she is a male. viola must somehow eliminate the factors of being exposed to the entire community, but manage to win orsino's love.

    ReplyDelete